Multi-Family Dwellings

If you are building a new duplex or townhome, you are required to submit for and obtain a building permit and inspections.

Requirements for submitting a permit application for a multi-family dwellings

  1. Architectural Review Committee approval (if required by subdivision) – plan review cannot begin unless this information is included with the submittal.
  2. Permit Application Form – On the application form, please provide the number of water meters and the meter size that will be put to the building.  If there will only be one water meter to the building, provide an engineered water supply criteria designed to peak demand from all units as one criteria
  3. Construction drawings
  4. Site or plot plans – with setbacks  from the property line(s) and other buildings easily legible at that size (see sample). For sloped lots, include contour lines. Be sure to list the building number, and each unit number with corresponding address as applicable
  5. REScheck – the 2015 Utah Code version – make sure to use the most current version of software, choose Riverton as the City (since Herriman is not a choice)
  6. Manual J, D & S (energy analysis documents)
  7. Structural engineering – with electronic engineer’s stamp
  8. Gas line diagram – (if not on plans)
  9. Contractor Agreements
  10. Special Inspection Agreement

If you are a contractor planning to build multiple houses using the same building plans, please see Cardfile Plan Review Program.

Please review the following notices (copies are provided when you purchase your permit):

Other applicable information:

Permit fees are based on use of area and square footage, but are not charged until all plan reviews are completed and approved (see Fee Calculation Form). Permit fees do not include sewer fees – contact South Valley Sewer District at (801)571-1166. Another cost you will incur will be for a soils report which must be provided to the inspector at the footing inspection – see Geotechnical (Soils) Report.

Submit signed application and plans to the Building Department by email at  If your plans are too large to email, please provide a shareable link to where we can download your plans from such as Dropbox, Google Drive or other online service.

Plan review will take approximately 10-15 working days, after which we may call with corrections that will need to be made to your plans. After the plans have been approved, we will email an invoice with the amount owed for the permit.  Payments may be made by phone at 801-446-5323 with an electronic check, credit card (an additional fee will apply for payments over $1000), or a check may be brought into the City office. Credit card payments are not accepted for Single Family Dwelling permits.

Call the Building Department at 801-446-5327 at least one business day before you wish to schedule inspections (see Required Inspections).

Landscaping is required to be installed per Planning Commission approval and is monitored by the Zoning Department. Both Zoning Department and Unified Fire Authority approvals are required before the certificate of occupancy can be issued.

When an individual unit is approved for final before the rest of the building, Herriman City may (upon request) issue a temporary certificate of occupancy for just that unit which is good until the final certificate of occupancy is issued for the entire building. When a temporary or a final certificate of occupancy is issued, the Water Department is notified and the water jumper(s) will be removed and the permanent water meter(s) will be set within 2-3 working days if a water application has been submitted to the Water Department. If no application has been made, the Water Department will remove the jumper and shut off the water.

Contact Us


7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. | Monday - Friday

Please call before 4:00 for inspection requests




Cathryn Nelson • Building Official
Phone: 801-446-5327 | Email

Cathryn Nelson

Lon Christensen • Assistant Building Official/Inspector
Phone: 801-446-5327 | Email

Lon Christensen

Wade Lehmberg • Assistant Building Official/Inspector
Phone: 801-446-5327 | Email

Wade Lehmberg