Building Department Frequently Asked Questions

Must building plans be stamped?

For new residential buildings and detached structures over 800 square feet, the structural pages must be stamped by a licensed structural engineer.

Plans for residential remodels, basement finishes, decks, and detached structures less than 800 square feet do not generally require an engineer’s stamp.

For new commercial buildings and tenant finishes, all pages of the plans must be stamped by a licensed architect. Additionally, for new commercial buildings, the structural pages and calculations must be stamped by a licensed structural engineer, electrical pages by a licensed electrical engineer and the mechanical pages by a licensed mechanical engineer.

What contractors are required to get a permit?

Generally only the licensed general contractor is required to pull a building permit. The other subcontractors that we regulate will be listed on the building permit application form (electrical, plumbing, mechanical). Note: If people contract to work on your house, you should make sure they are licensed. You can check on the State’s website

Do I have to hire a licensed contractor and subcontractor?

Almost all contractors who do work that must be permitted must be licensed with the State of Utah. The State requires that we confirm that the General Contractor/Builder, Electrical Contractor, Plumbing Contractor and the Mechanical Contractor are licensed. If you hire a General Contractor or Construction Company to build your home, it is their responsibility to provide verification of these licenses to the City.

If you are the owner and builder you are not required to have a license and you may do all the work yourself. Please contact the City for further information on owner/builder state regulations and requirements (see Owner/Builder Requirements).

What signatures are needed on permit applications?

Either the applicant, or a ‘designated representative’ of the applicant needs to sign the application (see Permit Application Form).

Who should take out the permit?

This can be either the property owner or the contractor or another representative of either. Whoever is listed as Applicant is the person who will pay for the permit. The Applicant is also the person or entity that the City considers as the owner of the permit.

If I construct an addition or remodel, will I need to bring my existing building into compliance with current building codes?

Generally, no – as long as the existing construction is in compliance with the codes that were in effect at the time your building was built. This is almost never a problem unless a real life safety threat is apparent (like dilapidated equipment or missing guardrails).

Is a building permit required to re-roof your home? For re-shingle, re-tar, or tar and gravel?

Yes, with some exceptions. All commercial re-roofs require a building permit. Any roof conversion (raising the pitch of the roof) or roof alteration requires a building permit. On residential structures, a permit is required under the following conditions:

a. where the existing roof or roof covering is water soaked or deteriorated

b. where the existing roof is wood shake, slate, clay, cement or asbestos-cement tile

c. where the existing roof has two or more applications (layers) of any type of covering

Is a building permit required to do a roof conversion?

Yes, a permit is required. A truss diagram, truss detail, and layout of the house showing bearing wall(s) are also required.

Are weekend inspections available?

No, inspections are done Monday through Friday only, between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

Do I need a permit to demolish part or all of a house or structure?

Yes. For more information, please see Demolitions.

What is the penalty for building without a permit?

Penalties for not obtaining a building permit are as follows:

a. The cost of the required building permit will double as a penalty.

b. You could incur daily penalties until the structure is brought into compliance.

c. You may have to demolish the construction if it is found that the work or structure is in violation of existing city ordinances. 

d. If the work is done by a licensed contractor, penalties and fines will be imposed by the State of Utah.

e. Insurance companies may refuse to cover problems resulting from work done without a permit (i.e. if a fire results from faulty wiring in a basement finish without a permit, they may not cover the damage).

How can I check to see if my contractor is licensed by the State; or how can I file a complaint with the State against my contractor?

Visit the website for the Division of Occupational & Professional Licensing where you can verify your contractor’s license or file a complaint.

What hours is construction noise allowed?

In Salt Lake County, the Health Department works with local law enforcement agencies to enforce the county’s noise regulation. In general, the noise regulation prohibits loud noise at night between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.

You can report excessive noise at

Do I need a permit for an outdoor fire pit or to open burn?

Backyard fire pits and barbecues require a building permit if they are gas fed and a new gas line is being installed (see Electrical/Mechanical/Plumbing).

Wood/other fire pits do not require a permit, however please see the UFA handout on burning for clearances.

Residential open burning is not allowed in Herriman. Agricultural open burning is allowed only in Agricultural zones (contact the Planning/Zoning Department to determine your zone at 801-446-5323 or The UFA handout also addresses open burning requirements.

Contact Us


7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. | Monday - Friday

Please call before 4:00 for inspection requests




Cathryn Nelson • Building Official
Phone: 801-446-5327 | Email

Cathryn Nelson

Lon Christensen • Assistant Building Official/Inspector
Phone: 801-446-5327 | Email

Lon Christensen

Wade Lehmberg • Assistant Building Official/Inspector
Phone: 801-446-5327 | Email

Wade Lehmberg