Landscaping Requirements

The landscaping ordinance affects all existing homes in the City as well as all new residential construction. This ordinance requires all residential dwellings to have landscaping installed and maintained in their front yards, all parks trips, and side yards to the back line of the dwelling or on corner lots to the back property line, including park strips (see Landscaping Diagrams).

As of January 3, 2022, all landscaping for new construction must meet the Water Efficiency Standards.

For definitions of what constitutes landscaping as well as irrigation and tree requirements, please see the full explanation in the Water Efficiency Standards. When installing landscape, make sure to comply with the City’s Clear View Ordinance (see Clear View Requirements).

All new buildings in the culinary and secondary water regions (most areas of Herriman) are also required to comply with secondary water connection requirements, even in areas where secondary water is not yet live (see Secondary Connection Requirements). You can find more information on the Water Department’s page on Secondary Water.


For all new residential construction, landscaping requirements must be met and approved prior to occupancy.

If weather (at the discretion of the City) does not permit for landscaping to be installed prior to occupancy, the City will require a cash bond to be posted in order to receive occupancy approval. The City begins accepting bonds on October 15th, with the last day to post a bond being April 30th. Landscaping must then be installed and inspected by June 30th, after which the bond will be refunded. Bonds are not allowed unless weather prohibits installation and Building Official approval is granted. For more information on bond amounts and requirements, see Landscaping Notice.

Construction water does not include water for landscaping. At the time an inspector approves the landscaping, notice will be sent to the Water Department and the water jumper will be removed within 2-3 days. The water meter must be set at that time. Call the Water Department at 801-446-5323 (see Water).

For other notices to Contractors, see Single Family Dwellings.

Contact Us


7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. | Monday - Friday

Please call before 4:00 for inspection requests




Cathryn Nelson • Building Official
Phone: 801-446-5327 | Email

Cathryn Nelson

Lon Christensen • Assistant Building Official/Inspector
Phone: 801-446-5327 | Email

Lon Christensen

Wade Lehmberg • Assistant Building Official/Inspector
Phone: 801-446-5327 | Email

Wade Lehmberg