Hours: 7:30 am to 5:30 pm – Please call prior to 4:30 pm for all inspection requests.
If you are planning to demolish a house or structure, a permit and inspections are required.
Before submitting for a permit through Herriman City, contact the Salt Lake County Health Department and the Division of Air Quality, Asbestos Abatement, for their requirements. You also need to contact both the Gas and Power companies for their clearances. You will have to bring in these approvals to demolish when you apply with us.
Requirements for Submitting a Permit Application for a Demolition
- A copy of your approval to demolish from the Salt Lake County Health Department (see above).
- A copy of your approval to demolish from the Division of Air Quality (see above).
- A clearance from Rocky Mountain Power that the power has been shut off, meter removed and lines have been safely terminated.
- If applicable, a clearance from Questar Gas that the gas has been shut off, meter removed and lines have been safely terminated.
- Permit Application Form
The demolition permit is required by the International Building Code and International Residential Code. The permit process accomplishes four things:
- Insures there is no friable asbestos in the building, or that friable asbestos has been removed by appropriate means by a contractor licensed for asbestos removal.
- Insures that all utility lines to the building have been terminated at a safe location by the utility companies.
- Removes the demolished building from the State tax roles.
- Insures that appliances and electrical devices that might contain hazardous materials have been disposed of properly.
The permit fee for a demolition permit is $47.47 (which pays for the inspections which will need to be done). Checks should be made payable to Herriman City. Payments less than $1,000 can also be made with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express. This permit can usually be issued at the counter, but call ahead to make sure someone is here who can issue these permits.
Submit application and plans to the Building Department at the City Office Building at 13011 South Pioneer Street during our office hours of 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Remember, the office is closed on State and Federal holidays.
Demolitions typically require two inspections:
- An inspection when all utilities (gas, power, water and sewer) have been disconnected and laterals secured.
- A final inspection after the demolition is completed and the lot has been cleaned.
Call the Building Department at (801)446-5327 at least one business day before you wish to schedule each inspection