Hours: 7:30 am to 5:30 pm – Please call prior to 4:30 pm for all inspection requests.
If you are planning to build a deck that is 30″ or less measured from the walking surface of the deck to the lowest grade level around the perimeter of the deck, and you are NOT adding a new roof structure, you will NOT need a building permit, or any other approval from the City. However, required clearances must be maintained over bedroom or escape (egress) windows (see Deck Emergency Escape diagram).
If you are planning to build a deck that is more than 30″ above ground measured from the walking surface of the deck to the lowest grade level around the perimeter of the deck, OR if it will be covered with a new roof structure (regardless of deck height), then a permit and inspections are required.
Please be aware that dumpsters and construction materials must not create an obstruction to the public.
Requirements for Submitting a Permit Application for a Deck
- Permit Application Form
- Two (2) copies of a site plan showing where on the property the house is and where the deck will be placed (see sample Site Plan). Include setback measurements. You can contact the Planning & Zoning Department for setback requirements and easement information at (801)446-5323 or email@example.com.
- Two (2) copies of Construction Drawings (see sample Deck Side View and Deck Framing diagrams) including:
a. Roof information if applicable.
b. Footing information (if the deck is attached to the house [most are attached], the footing depth for the posts have to be 30″ deep minimum).
c. Stair Detail Drawings (see sample Stair Detail diagram).
d. Make sure minimum clearance is maintained over bedroom or escape (egress) windows (see Deck Emergency Escape and Emergency Escape Window diagrams).
e. Other applicable information – Building Codes & Design Criteria.
- If you are acting as an owner/builder, submit a signed, notarized Owner/Builder Certification. There are notaries at the City Office who can notarize documents for residents for free.
Permit Fees are not charged until all plan reviews are completed and approved. The fee will range from approximately $130.00 to $180.00, depending on the square footage of the deck. Permit fees pay for reviews in the office as well as all inspections which will need to be done at the property.
Submit application and plans to the Building Department at the City Office Building at 5355 West Herriman Main Street during our office hours of 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Remember, the office is closed on State and Federal holidays.
Plan review will take approximately 7-10 working days, after which we may call with corrections that will need to be made to your plans. After corrections have been made, it will take 2-3 days to recheck the plans, stamp them approved and calculate fees. After the plans have been approved, we will call with the amount of the permit. Checks should be made payable to Herriman City. Payments less than $1,000 can also be made with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
Decks typically require the following inspections, but may require others as needed:
- A footing inspection when excavated and formed with reinforcement secured, but before concrete is poured.
- A rough building inspection (if necessary) if the underside will be covered when the deck is complete.
- A final inspection when the deck is completed, including paint or stain.
Call the Building Department at (801)446-5327 at least one business day before you wish to schedule each inspection. You may ask for an hour block of time. An adult must meet the inspector at the property. When the work is completed and all inspections are approved, be sure to keep the plans, permit and inspection reports with your house records.