Hours: 7:30 am to 5:30 pm – Please call prior to 4:30 pm for all inspection requests.
Information for Submitting a Permit Application for Commercial Construction
Prior to submitting a Building Permit application, contact the following city departments for their preliminary review and obtain their signatures on the Commercial Preliminary Approval Signature Form.
- Your first step is to schedule a preliminary Development Review Committee (DRC) meeting. Contact Herriman City Planning and Zoning Department at (801)446-5323 or email@example.com for all required reviews. Also see their webpage here.
- Next, schedule a final DRC meeting through the Planning & Zoning Department.
- When the project has received approval from Planning and Zoning, submit to the Engineering Department electronically civil plans (including lighting analysis). The plans will need to be approved, and fees and bonds paid through the Engineering Department before any construction may begin. Contact the Engineering Department at (801)446-5323 or firstname.lastname@example.org for other requirements. The Engineering Department will forward your plans to the Herriman City Municipal Water Department for their review. We will also submit the project to Unified Fire Authority for review during the Building Permit application stage.
- You will also need to receive preliminary approval from other special service districts such as Salt Lake Valley Health Department, South Valley Sewer, etc.
Permit Application Requirements
Once the project has received approval from all other city departments and you have the Commercial Preliminary Approval Signature Form signed by each department, submit to the Building Department along with the following:
- A completed Permit Application Form.
- Two (2) copies of the site plan and an electronic version in pdf format (even if previously submitted to the Planning or Engineering Department) including all ADA compliance requirements, and parking with signage and striping details.
- Two (2) sets of printed construction plans and an electronic version in pdf format (all pages of the plans must be wet stamped by the architect, the engineer stamps the structural pages, the electrical engineer stamps the electrical pages and the mechanical engineer stamps the mechanical pages).
- Two (2) copies of all supporting documentation (may include but not limited to structural calcs, project manual, energy analysis documents, soils report, etc.).
- Valuation of project including costs for labor and materials but not including cost of land (can be signed contract or bid sheet).
- Special Inspection Agreement (see also Special Inspection Record) include copies of special inspection license or certs for each special inspector.
- A copy of the SWPPP (Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan). Another copy of the SWPPP and UPDES permit must be posted onsite at all times.
Submit signed application and plans to the Building Department by email at email@example.com. If your plans are too large to email, please provide a shareable link to where we can download your plans from such as Dropbox, Google Drive or other online service.
Permit Fees will be calculated after plans are received and reviewed. For a fee estimate, please call the Building Department with the project type, location, Occupany and Construction Type from the IBC (usually provided by the architect), square footage, acreage, landscape area, water meter size, monthly indoor water usage, and project valuation (see item #5 above). Please be aware that the Fire Impact Fee must be paid directly to SLVFSA (see Fire Impact Fee Collection Form) and the stamped form with receipt attached must be submitted to our office before the permit can be issued (we typically send this form to you with the invoice when the permit is ready to purchase). We do not collect sewer fees, please contact South Valley Sewer (contact info below). Payments for permits costing more than $1,000 may be made by phone, (801)446-5323, with an electronic check. Payments of $1,000 and less can also be made with a Visa, Mastercard, Discover, or American Express.
Other Departments and Organizations you may need to contact for approval:
Salt Lake County Health Department – slco.org/health (801)468-2750
South Valley Sewer – www.southvalley.dst.ut.us/ (801)571-1166
***Be aware that each project is unique; this may not be a complete checklist, and this may include approvals that may not be necessary for every project.***
Other Forms to Review:
Approvals Required for Certificate of Occupancy:
- Herriman Building Department (801-446-5327)
- Herriman Zoning Department (801-446-5323)
- Herriman Engineering Department (801-446-5323)
- Herriman Municipal Water Department (801-446-5323)
- Unified Fire Authority (801-743-7200)
- South Valley Sewer (801-571-1166)
- Salt Lake County Health Department when applicable (385-468-3845)
- State of Utah Boiler & Elevator Safety Division when applicable (801-530-6850)
If you have other questions for the Building Department, contact us at (801)446-5327 Monday through Friday between 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m., or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.