Commercial Construction

Hours: 7:30 am to 5:30 pm – Please call prior to 4:30 pm for all inspection requests.
Phone: (801)446-5327

Information for Submitting a Permit Application for Commercial Construction

Prior to submitting a Building Permit application, contact the following city departments for their preliminary review and obtain their signatures on the Commercial Preliminary Approval Signature Form.

  1. Your first step is to obtain preliminary approval from Herriman City Planning and Zoning. Make sure you have contacted them for all required reviews at (801)446-5323 or Also see their webpage here.
  2. Fire Impact Fee Collection Form – when signed by the Building Official, you will need to take it with your payment directly to SLVFSA then bring signed page from them back to our office before permit can be issued (we typically send this to you with the invoice when the permit is ready).
  3. When the project has received approval from Planning and Zoning, submit to the Engineering Department four (4) sets of civil plans. The plans will need to be approved, and fees and bonds paid through the Engineering Department before any construction may begin. Contact the Engineering Department at (801)446-5323 or for other requirements.
  4. The project will also need to be reviewed by Herriman City Municipal Water Department for their preliminary approval – (801)446-5323 or


Permit Application Requirements

Once the project has received approval from all other city departments and you have the Commercial Preliminary Approval Signature Form signed by each department, submit to the Building Department along with the following:

  1. A completed Permit Application Form.
  2. Two (2) copies of the site plan (even if previously submitted to the Planning or Engineering Department) including all ADA compliance requirements, and parking with signage and striping details.
  3. Two (2) sets of printed construction plans and an electronic version in pdf format (all pages of the plans must be wet stamped by the architect, the engineer stamps the structural pages, the electrical engineer stamps the electrical pages and the mechanical engineer stamps the mechanical pages).
  4. Two (2) copies of all supporting documentation (may include but not limited to structural calcs, project manual, energy analysis documents, soils report, etc.).
  5. Contractor PTP Agreement and Contractor Grading Agreement signed and notarized (notaries are available at the City Offices free of charge).
  6. Valuation of project including costs for labor and materials but not including cost of land (can be signed contract or bid sheet).
  7. Special Inspection Agreement (see also Special Inspection Record) include copies of special inspection license or certs for each special inspector.
  8. A copy of the SWPPP (Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan). Another copy of the SWPPP and UPDES permit must be posted onsite at all times.

Submit the permit application and plans to the Building Department at the City Office Building at 5355 West Herriman Main Street during our office hours of 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Remember, the office is closed on State and Federal holidays.

We will deliver your plans to Unified Fire Authority for their review. For information on fire flow testing if required, see Fire Flow Testing Letter from UFA. (385)468-9086

Other Departments and Organizations you may need to contact for approval:
Salt Lake County Health Department – (801)468-2750

South Valley Sewer – (801)571-1166

Herriman City Business License –, (801)446-5323,

***Be aware that each project is unique; this may not be a complete checklist, and this may include approvals that may not be necessary for every project.***

Other Forms to Review:

If you have other questions for the Building Department, contact us at (801)446-5327 Monday through Friday between 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m., or email at

© Copyright 2013 Herriman City.