Water pours out of a metal pipe


Clean. Safe. Responsible.

Frequently Asked Water Questions

Why does water hardness change seasonally?

Water usage is higher during the hottest months of the year. This extra usage requires the City to purchase more water from Jordan Valley Water Conservancy District. JVWCD has softer water than the local well water the City relies on the rest of the year. When mixed with local water, it lowers the total dissolved solids (TDS) of the water that comes out of the faucet. When the weather cools down, the City relies more on just our local well water, so with that, the water hardness in your home will increase.

How do I prepare a sprinkler system for winter?

Whether culinary or secondary water is used, it is important to drain lines thoroughly to prevent damage caused by freezing. Most sprinkling systems can be flushed with compressed air by connecting to the system and turning on each zone to flush out the water with air. It may be a good idea to hire a landscaping or sprinkler company if you are unsure how to flush the lines out with air yourself. It is also recommended to remove your backflow prevention device and store it in your garage during the winter to prevent damage.

Why do we meter for secondary water?

Herriman City began metering the secondary water system to encourage conservation. The legislature is working to require all water systems to meter secondary water. This puts Herriman City ahead of the game, which will in turn save the City a great deal of time and money.

How do I determine if there is a leak and if it's inside or outside my home?

Make sure all faucets are off in the home and that no water is running. Look at the water meter and see if the dial is moving. If it is, there is water flow, which means there's a leak. Turn off the water main valve inside your home and the sprinkler main valve. Check the water meter for flow. If it is still moving, your leak is going to be somewhere in the main water line from the meter box to the home. If your meter does not show flow after you shut off the main valve, then try turning on the valve to the sprinkling system. If the meter still does not show flow, then the leak is inside your home. At this point, we recommend you hire a plumber to locate and repair any leaks on your property.

What is a cross connection?

Any connection between a public water system or potable water system and any source containing non potable water or other substances or contaminants.

What is backflow?

The undesirable reversal of flow on non potable water or substance through a cross connection and into the piping of a potable water system.

What is a backflow preventer?

A backflow preventer is a means or mechanism to prevent backflow. It eliminates cross connection and provides a barrier to backflow.

Why do backflow preventers need to be tested?

Mechanical backflow preventers have internal seals, springs, and moving parts that are subject to failure, wear, and fatigue. Therefore, all backflow preventers must be tested within the first 10 days of initial use and then must be tested annually to ensure they are functioning properly.

Are there any health risks related to secondary water?

Secondary water is not treated and is not for human consumption.

When will secondary water be available?

Secondary water is only available to some areas (See secondary availability map). Secondary water will be available from May 1st to mid October each year.

Do I need to filter secondary water?

We do recommend using a filter. We are already filtering to 200 micron. Consult a sprinkler professional to determine what level of filtration is needed for your system.

What is the most common form of cross connection?

Ironically the ordinary garden hose is the most common offender as it can be easily connected to the potable water supply and used for a variety of potentially dangerous applications.

Is any protection required on a hose bib?

Yes, a hose bib vacuum breaker should be installed on every hose bib to isolate garden hose applications.

What is meant by: Degree of Hazard?

The “Degree of Hazard” is a commonly used term in cross connection to determine whether the substance in the non potable system is toxic (Health Hazard) or non toxic (Non Health Hazard).

Contact Us


7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. | Monday - Friday





Justun Edwards • Director of Public Works
Phone: 801-446-5323 | Email

Herriman City

Luke Sieverts • Water Manager
Phone: 801-446-5323 | Email

Herriman City