hi, How can we help you?


Step one: Register business name  

Department of Commerce and Commercial Code

If you are using a business name, whether it be a DBA, LLC, INC., etc., the name needs to be registered with the Department of Commerce, located at 160 E 300 S, SLC, UT. The phone number is 801-530-4849. This can be done in person or online (One Stop Online Business Registration).

Step two: Obtain a State sales tax number

Most businesses are required to collect and remit sales tax for goods (and some services) they provide to consumers.  You can obtain a sales tax number at the “One Stop Business Registration” website at the same time you are applying for a business name. If you have any questions about whether or not your business should be collecting sales tax, you may call the State Tax Commission at 801-297-2200 or visit the office in person at 210 N 1950 W, SLC, UT.

Step three: Do you have employees?

If you will have employees, you are required to register with the following agencies:

  • Internal Revenue Service – you will need to get an Employer Identification Number (EIN) in order to remit the Federal Tax Withholding and make FUTA (Federal Unemployment Tax) payments for your employees.  You can apply for this number in person at the State Tax Commission.
  • State Tax Commission – you will need to get a State Withholding Number in order to remit the State Tax you withhold from payroll.
  • State Unemployment Insurance – State unemployment insurance is required for companies with employees. For further information contact the Department of Workforce Services.
  • Worker’s Compensation Insurance is required of all employers. This insurance may be obtained from private companies or the State Insurance Fund.  Contact the Worker’s Compensation Fund of Utah, 392 E 6400 S, SLC, UT.  The phone number is 801-288-8000.

Step four: State license

State of Utah Department of Occupational and Professional License (DOPL)

If your profession is regulated and licensed by the State of Utah such as a contractor, cosmetologist, real estate, mortgage, doctor, etc., a copy of this license will need to be provided to the City when the business license application is submitted. The Department of Occupational and Professional License is located at 160 E 300 S, SLC, UT. The phone number is 801-530-6628 or you may visit

Step five: Check with the City

Check the zoning and parking regulations with the City’s Planning and Zoning Department ( before signing a contract with the leasing agent. 

For businesses moving into an existing space that are planning interior remodeling, be sure to check with the Building Department for a building permit (

For more information regarding business licensing, contact the City's Business License Official, Kim Lambert, at 801-285-9706 or by email at

Contact Us


7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. | Monday - Friday




Sandra Llewellyn • Economic Development Coordinator
Phone: 801-446-5323 | Email

Sandra Llewellyn