Pools and Ponds

If you are planning to add a pool or pond that is 24″ deep or more, you are required to submit for and obtain a building permit and have inspections. 

Please be aware that dumpsters and construction materials must not create an obstruction to the public.

Requirements for submitting a permit application for a pool/water feature

  1. Permit Application Form
  2. Site plan (see sample Site Plan diagram) showing the property lines, the house and any other structures, the location of the pool with measurements from pool to house and property lines, fences, gates, electrical equipment and outlets, gas and power line locations, and public utility easements (if the pool will be in an easement, also submit easement waivers – see Easement Waiver Information).
  3. Complete construction plans (make sure to include everything on the Residential Swimming Pool Checklist).

Submit signed application and plans to the Building Department by email at building@herriman.org.  If your plans are too large to email, please provide a shareable link to where we can download your plans from such as Dropbox, Google Drive or other online service.

Plan review will take approximately 10-15 working days, after which we may call with corrections that need to be made to your plans. Permit fees are calculated based on the valuation of the project and will be figured when the permit is approved. After the plans have been approved, we will email an invoice with permit fees. Payments for permits costing more than $1,000 may be made by phone, 801-446-5323, with an electronic check. Payments of $1,000 and less can also be made with a Visa, Mastercard, Discover, or American Express.

Pools require several inspections (see Required Inspections). This may not be a complete list since every pool is different. You must pass a final inspection prior to using the pool. Be aware that barriers around the pool and equipment are required with gates swinging away from the pool. You will also be required to comply with proper water disposal (see the Pool Water Disposal Guide from the Salt Lake County Health Department). Call the Building Department at 801-446-5327 at least one business day before you wish to schedule each inspection. You may ask for an hour block of time. An adult must meet the inspector at the property. When the work is completed and all inspections are approved, be sure to keep the plans, permit and inspection reports with your house records.

Contact Us


7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. | Monday - Friday

Please call before 4:00 for inspection requests





Cathryn Nelson • Building Official
Phone: 801-446-5327 | Email

Cathryn Nelson

Lon Christensen • Assistant Building Official/Inspector
Phone: 801-446-5327 | Email

Lon Christensen