If you are planning to transfer a building permit from one owner to another, you are required to submit the following, along with a $94.00 permit transfer.
Requirements for transferring a building permit
Contact the Building Department at 801-446-5327 to determine the status of the project and what is required to finish the project. We can email you a copy of the original permit and the inspection history to date. We can also give you the architect information so you can order a new set of plans if necessary (see item 4).
- Permit transfer/re-stamp fee of $94.00.
- Fill out a new Permit Application Form, listing the new contractor and sub-contractors as applicable.
- Fill out the Request for Transfer of Permit Ownership Form.
- Complete the property information section.
- The next section is to be filled out by the previous holder of the permit and be notarized. If the house has been foreclosed on, a letter from the bank/lienholder on their letterhead will be acceptable in place of this section. If the home has been purchased by an individual, a copy of the settlement statement or title is required in place of this section.
- The last section is to be filled out by the new contractor or owner/builder and be notarized. A copy of the new contractor’s state license is also required. If the new permit holder is going to act as an owner/builder, then also submit an Owner-Builder Declaration Form (see Owner/Builder Requirements).
- Contractor Agreements, or if being done by an owner/builder, the Homeowner Power to Panel Agreement and Homeowner Grading Agreement.
- The original approved/stamped set of the construction plans must be obtained and be onsite for inspectors if the house has not passed the rough 4-way inspection or at the determination of the inspector. If they are unavailable, you can call our office and we can give you the architect information so you can order a new set. The plans must be submitted for comparison to our office copy and be re-stamped for the new permit holder, which is part of the $94.00 permit transfer/re-stamp fee.
Submit all required documents and plans to the Building Department by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. If your plans are too large to email, please provide a shareable link to where we can download your plans from such as Dropbox, Google Drive or other online service.
The fee for permit transfer is $94.00. Payments may be made by phone, 801-446-5323, with an electronic check or by Visa, Mastercard, Discover, or American Express.
All required inspections must be approved in order to receive a Certificate of Occupancy. Call the Building Department at 801-446-5327 at least one business day before you wish to schedule inspections (see Required Inspections).