Commercial Construction

Required steps for submitting a permit application for commercial construction

Prior to submitting a building permit application, contact the following Herriman City departments for their preliminary review and obtain their signatures on the Commercial Preliminary Approval Signature Form

  1. Your first step is to schedule a preliminary Development Review Committee (DRC) meeting. Contact the Herriman City Planning Department at 801-446-5323 or for all required reviews. Also see their webpage here.
  2. Next, schedule a final DRC meeting through the Planning Department.
  3. When the project has received approval from Planning, submit to the Engineering Department electronically civil plans (including lighting analysis). The plans will need to be approved, and fees and bonds paid through the Engineering Department before any construction may begin. Contact the Engineering Department at 801-446-5323 or for other requirements. The Engineering Department will forward your plans to the Herriman City Municipal Water Department for their review. We will also submit the project to Unified Fire Authority for review during the building permit application stage.
  4. You will also need to receive preliminary approval from other special service districts such as Salt Lake County Health Department, South Valley Sewer, etc.

Permit Application Requirements

Once the project has received approval from all other city departments and you have the Commercial Preliminary Approval Signature Form signed by each department, submit to the Building Department along with the following:

  1. A completed Permit Application Form.
  2. Site plan (even if previously submitted to the Planning or Engineering Department) including all ADA compliance requirements, and parking with signage and striping details.
  3. Construction plans electronically stamped by the architect, the structural engineer, electrical engineer, and the mechanical engineer.
  4. All supporting documentation (may include but not limited to structural calcs, project manual, energy analysis documents, soils report, etc.).
  5. Valuation of project including costs for labor and materials but not including cost of land (can be signed contract or bid sheet).
  6. Special Inspection Agreement (see also Special Inspection Record) include copies of special inspection license or certs for each special inspector.
  7. A copy of the SWPPP (Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan). Another copy of the SWPPP and UPDES permit must be posted onsite at all times.

Submit signed application and plans to the Building Department by email at  If your plans are too large to email, please provide a shareable link to where we can download your plans from such as Dropbox, Google Drive or other online service.

We will deliver your plans to Unified Fire Authority for their review. For information on fire flow testing if required, see Fire Flow Testing Letter from UFA. See their website at or call at 801-743-7200.

Permit fees will be calculated after plans are received and reviewed. For a fee estimate, please call the Building Department with the project type, location, Occupany and Construction Type from the IBC (usually provided by the architect), square footage, acreage, landscape area, water meter size, monthly indoor water usage, and project valuation (see item #5 above). For sewer fees, please contact South Valley Sewer (contact info below). Payments for permits costing more than $1,000 may be made by phone, 801-446-5323, with an electronic check. Payments of $1,000 and less can also be made with a Visa, Mastercard, Discover, or American Express.

Other departments and organizations you may need to contact for approval

Salt Lake County Health Department – 801-468-2750

South Valley Sewer  801-571-1166

Herriman City Business Licensing – 801-446-5323, 

Be aware that each project is unique. This may not be a complete checklist, and this may include approvals that may not be necessary for every project.

Approvals required for Certificate of Occupancy

Herriman Building Department - 801-446-5327 -

Herriman Zoning Department - 801-446-5323 -

Herriman Engineering Department - 801-446-5323 -

Herriman Public Works Department - 801-446-5323 -

Herriman Municipal Water Department - 801-446-5323 -

Herriman Landscape Architect - 801-446-5323 -

Unified Fire Authority - 385-468-9086

South Valley Sewer - 801-571-1166

Salt Lake County Health Department (when applicable) - 385-468-3845

State of Utah Boiler & Elevator Safety Division (when applicable) - 801-530-6850

Contact Us


7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. | Monday - Friday

Please call before 4:00 for inspection requests




Cathryn Nelson • Building Official
Phone: 801-446-5327 | Email

Cathryn Nelson

Lon Christensen • Assistant Building Official/Inspector
Phone: 801-446-5327 | Email

Lon Christensen