Multi-Family Dwellings

Hours: 7:30 am to 5:30 pm – Please call prior to 4:30 pm for all inspection requests.
Phone: (801)446-5327

If you are building a new duplex or townhome, you are required to submit for and obtain a building permit and inspections.

Requirements for Submitting a Permit Application for a Multi-Family Dwellings

  1. Architectural Review Committee Approval (If required by subdivision) plan review cannot begin unless this information is included with the submittal.
  2. Permit Application Form
  3. Construction Drawings – 2 copies wet stamped;  18″ x 24″ minimum size
  4. Site or plot plans – 2 copies on 8-1/2″x11″ or 11″x17″ paper with setbacks  from the property line(s) and other buildings easily legible at that size (see sample). Be sure to list the building number, and each unit number with corresponding address as applicable.
  5. REScheck – the 2012 Utah Code version – 2 copies; make sure to use the most current version of software, select Riverton as the location, then under “Code” choose Utah 2012 (see screenshot); see for software
  6. Manual J, D & S (energy analysis documents) – 2 copies
  7. Structural engineering – 2 copies wet stamped
  8. Gas line diagram – 2 copies (commonly drawn on foundation plan).
  9. Water Meter(s) – On the application form, please provide the number of water meters and the meter size that will be put to the building.  If there will only be one water meter to the building, provide an engineered water supply criteria designed to peak demand from all units as one criteria.

If you are a contractor planning to build multiple houses using the same building plans, please see Cardfile Plan Review Program.

Please review the following notices (copies are provided when you purchase your permit):

Other applicable information:

PERMIT FEES are based on use of area and square footage, but are not charged until all plan reviews are completed and approved (see Fee Calculation Form). Permit fees do not include sewer fees – contact South Valley Sewer District at (801)571-1166. Another cost you will incur will be for a soils report which must be provided to the inspector at the footing inspection – see Geotechnical (Soils) Report.

Submit application and plans to the Building Department at the City Office Building at 5355 West Herriman Main Street during our office hours of 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Remember, the office is closed on State and Federal holidays.

Plan review will take approximately 10-15 working days, after which we may call with corrections that will need to be made to your plans. After the plans have been approved, we will email you the Fire Impact Fee Form which you’ll need to take to the address at the top of the form, pay the fee then bring the stamped signed copy with you when you come to pick up the permit. We will also email an invoice with the amount owed for the permit which you will need to take directly to the Customer Service window at City Hall to pay for the permit. Checks should be made payable to Herriman City. Credit card payments are not accepted for Single Family Dwelling permits.

Call the Building Department at (801)446-5327 at least one business day before you wish to schedule inspections (see Required Inspections).

Landscaping is required to be installed per Planning Commission approval and is monitored by the Zoning Department. Both Zoning Department and Unified Fire Authority approvals are required before the certificate of occupancy can be issued.

When an individual unit is approved for final before the rest of the building, Herriman City may (upon request) issue a temporary certificate of occupancy for just that unit which is good until the final certificate of occupancy is issued for the entire building. When a temporary or a final certificate of occupancy is issued, the Water Department is notified and the water jumper(s) will be removed and the permanent water meter(s) will be set within 2-3 working days if a water application has been submitted to the Water Department (see New Water Meter Set). If no application has been made, the Water Department will remove the jumper and shut off the water.

© Copyright 2013 Herriman City.