A Herriman Animal Services truck staged next to the state capitol building at a 2020 rally

Animal Services

Frequently Asked Questions

Why do I need to license my pet?

All dogs, cats, and ferrets are required to be licensed in Herriman City. 

An animal wearing a license tag is the best way to quickly identify and reunite you with your pet should he/she become lost If your pet is found by an Animal Services Officer with a serious injury, and you cannot be contacted, the license will guarantee your animal is taken to a veterinarian for emergency care. A license can mean the difference between life and death for a badly injured, lost pet.


Where can I license my pet?

Herriman City offers personalized pet license tags for residents. Your pet’s name and a personal phone number can be added. Licensing can be done by the following options:

  • Online (see main Animal Services page)
  • In person at the Customer Service counter inside City Hall 
  • Schedule an appointment for an Animal Services Officer to come to your home by calling 801-758-0080


How many pets can I have at my home?

No person or persons at any one residence or property within the City shall at any one time own, harbor, or license more than three adult dogs, three cats, or two ferrets, and no more than four total animals in any combination.


What if I want more than what is permitted?

Herriman City does allow for a Hobby or Fancier’s permit. The permit application costs $75 and will need to be renewed annually. For more information on these permit types, click the links below.

Hobby and Fancier's Permit Application


What can be done about barking dogs?

Herriman City has a nuisance ordinance that includes continuous barking. To report this type of issue, call Animal Services Dispatch at 801-840-4000. 

Herriman City Ordinance 5-1F-2 (e) states: 

An animal causing a nuisance includes, but it not limited to, any animal that: E. Makes disturbing noises, including, but not limited to, continued and repeated howling, barking, whining or other noise which causes unreasonable annoyance, disturbance or discomfort to neighbors or others;

There are some great resources found on the AKC website.


Do animal bites need to be reported?

State statute requires all animal bites to be reported to your local animal control or the Health Department within 24 hours. If the animal is at large after the bite has occurred, make sure you can give an accurate description of the animal and the direction it went. An officer will respond and try to obtain the suspect animal.

Any animal that has bitten or been bitten will be required to be placed in quarantine for a minimum of 10 days after the bite.

Any dog has the potential to bite, even nice and docile ones. The risk of dog bites can be reduced by maintaining a good fence and observing leash laws.

Are e-collars allowed in the city?

No. Animals must be restrained at all times. "Restraint" means that the animal is under physical control by means of a leash, tether or other physical control device or enclosure. See City Code §5-1A-1.

What is the Trap/Neuter/Return (TNR) program?

Under the TNR program, feral cats are spayed or neutered, vaccinated, and returned to their original location. The four purposes of the program are to prevent the birth of unwanted kittens in the community, to reduce the hormone caused nuisance behaviors associated with cats not spayed or neutered, to vaccinate the cats for public health, and to reduce the number of cats euthanized in animal shelters. 

Residents are encouraged to participate in the TNR program whenever possible. Residents who are willing to be involved in the TNR process can request a trap from Herriman Animal Services at 801-758-0080. Residents who are willing and able to assist in the program would transport cats to a participating veterinary hospital, pick up the cats when the surgery is completed, and transport the cats back to the original location to be released.

If a resident is not able to assist in transporting the feral cats to and from a veterinary hospital, residents can still obtain a trap from Herriman Animal Services to capture the cats on their own property. Once a cat is captured in the trap, an Animal Services Officer can respond to impound the cat and leave the trap at the trapping site. We would then coordinate with the staff from Best Friends Animal Society Community Cat Program to have the cats spayed or neutered, vaccinated, and returned to the original trapping location.

If residents’ circumstances do not allow them to participate in the TNR program, residents may contact Best Friends Animal Society Community Cat Program staff to check for available resources for the Trap Neuter Return process at 801-574-2413, or email utahtnr@bestfriends.org. To request spay/neuter vouchers or to receive additional information, please visit bestfriendsutah.org/communitycats.


Does Herriman City participate in the Trap/Neuter/Return (TNR) program?

Yes, Herriman City participates in the TNR program. 

Residents are encouraged to participate in the TNR program whenever possible. Willing residents can request a trap from Herriman Animal Services by calling 801-758-0080.

Contact Us

Non-emergency Dispatch:





7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. | Monday - Friday



Debbie Pederson • Animal Services Coordinator
Phone: 801-758-0080| Email

Debbie Pederson