Hours: 7:30 am to 5:30 pm – Please call prior to 4:30 pm for all inspection requests.
If you are building a new home (single family dwelling), you are required to submit for and obtain a building permit and inspections. Please be aware of Herriman’s Single Family Design Standards.
* Be sure to notify us if you are acting as an Owner/Builder *
Requirements for Submitting a Permit Application for a Single Family Dwelling
- Architectural Review Committee Approval (If required by subdivision) – plan review cannot begin unless this information is included with the submittal.
- Permit Application Form
- Fire Impact Fee Collection Form – when signed by the Building Official, you will need to take it with your payment directly to SLVFSA then bring signed page from them back to our office before permit can be issued (we typically send this to you with the invoice when the permit is ready).
- Construction Drawings – 2 copies wet stamped; 18″ x 24″ minimum size (if house is over 6200 sq. ft. [finished + unfinished + garage + deck(s)], also submit a Fire Flow Analysis with your plans)
- Site or plot plans – 2 copies on 8-1/2″x11″ or 11″x17″ paper with setbacks easily legible at that size (include easements, drainage plan – see sample)
- Landscape Design – 1 copy on 8-1/2″x11″ or 11″x17″ paper showing landscape plan, include parks trip trees and any fencing in lieu of landscaping per landscape ordinance (see landscaping requirements). If a landscape design is already submitted with the ARC approval from item #1, that may be sufficient for this requirement.
- REScheck – the 2012 Utah Code version – 2 copies; make sure to use the most current version of software, select Riverton as the location, then under “Code” choose Utah 2012 (see screenshot); see www.energycodes.gov for software
- Manual J, D & S (energy analysis documents) – 2 copies
- Structural engineering – 2 copies wet stamped
- Gas line diagram – 2 copies (commonly drawn on foundation plan – see sample). An updated gas line diagram must be submitted to the inspector at the rough 4-way.
- Owner/Builder documents if you are acting as your own General Contractor (see Owner/Builder Requirements).
- Model Homes – if the permit application is for a model home, please fill out the Model Home Request Form, get it signed and submit it with the permit application and plans.
If you are a contractor planning to build multiple houses using the same building plans, please see Cardfile Plan Review Program.
Please review the following notices (copies are provided when you purchase your permit):
- Clean Roadways & Street Obstructions
- Contractor Agreement
- Drainage & Rock/Masonry Walls
- Drive Approach Requirements
- Foundation Drains/Compaction
- Geotechnical (Soils) Report
- Landscaping Notice
- Mechanical Room Requirements
- Pre-Lot Inspection/Safe Access
- Questar Application & Deferred Submittals
- Secondary Connection Requirements
- Stucco Certificate
- Compaction Certificate
- Water Meter Move
Other applicable information:
- Applicable Building Codes/Design Criteria
- Cold Weather Requirements and Agreement
- Grading / Drainage
- Mechanical Sizing Information
- Transfer of Permit Ownership
PERMIT FEES are based on use of area and square footage, but are not charged until all plan reviews are completed and approved (see Fee Calculation Form). Permit fees do not include sewer fees – contact South Valley Sewer District at (801)571-1166. Another cost you will incur will be for a soils report which must be provided to the inspector at the footing inspection – see Geotechnical (Soils) Report.
Submit application and plans to the Building Department at the City Office Building at 13011 South Pioneer Street during our office hours of 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Remember, the office is closed on State and Federal holidays.
Plan review will take approximately 10-15 working days, after which we may call with corrections that will need to be made to your plans. After the plans have been approved, we will call with the amount of the permit. Checks should be made payable to Herriman City. Credit card payments are not accepted for Single Family Dwelling permits.
Call the Building Department at (801)446-5327 at least one business day before you wish to schedule inspections (see Required Inspections).
LANDSCAPING IS REQUIRED in order to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy (see Landscaping Ordinance Info). As soon as landscaping has been installed or the bond is posted, the permanent water meter will be set within 2-3 working days if a water application has been submitted to the Water Department (see New Water Meter Set). If no application has been made, the Water Department will remove the jumper and shut off the water.