Hours: 7:30 am to 5:30 pm – Please call prior to 4:30 pm for all inspection requests.
If you are building a new home (single family dwelling), you are required to submit for and obtain a building permit and inspections. Please be aware of Herriman’s Single Family Design Standards.
* Be sure to notify us if you are acting as an Owner/Builder *
Requirements for Submitting a Permit Application for a Single Family Dwelling
- Architectural Review Committee Approval (If required by subdivision) – plan review cannot begin unless this information is included with the submittal
- Permit Application Form
- Construction Plans – with electronic structural engineer’s stamp
- UFA Approval (801-743-7232 or email@example.com) is required in certain circumstances (see Utah Code 15A-5-203):
a. If total square footage within exterior walls exceeds 10,000 sq. ft.
b. If in an urban-wildland interface
c. If located in an area without fire hydrant coverage
d. If the only fire apparatus access road has a grade greater than 10% for more than 500 ft.
e. If total square footage within exterior walls is double the average of unsprinkled homes in that subdivision
- Site Plan – with setbacks easily legible at that size (include easements, drainage plan – see sample)
- Landscape Design – include park strip trees and any fencing in lieu of landscaping per landscape ordinance (see landscaping requirements). If a landscape design is already submitted with the ARC approval from item #1, that may be sufficient for this requirement
- REScheck – the 2012 Utah Code version – make sure to use the most current version of software, select Riverton as the location, then under “Code” choose Utah 2012 (see screenshot); see www.energycodes.gov for software
- Manual J, D & S (energy analysis documents)
- Structural engineering – with electronic engineer’s stamp
- Gas line diagram – (commonly drawn on foundation plan – see sample). An updated gas line diagram must be submitted to the inspector at the rough 4-way
- Owner/Builder documents if you are acting as your own General Contractor (see Owner/Builder Requirements)
- Model Homes – if the permit application is for a model home, please fill out the Model Home Request Form, get it signed and submit it with the permit application and plans
If you are a contractor planning to build multiple houses using the same building plans, please see Cardfile Plan Review Program.
Please review the following notices (copies are provided when you purchase your permit):
- Clean Roadways & Street Obstructions
- Contractor Agreement
- Defective Concrete Replacement Requirements
- Drainage & Rock/Masonry Walls
- Drive Approach Requirements
- Foundation Drains/Compaction
- Geotechnical (Soils) Report
- Landscaping Notice
- Mechanical Room Requirements
- Pre-Lot Inspection/Safe Access
- Questar Application & Deferred Submittals
- Secondary Connection Requirements
- Stucco Certificate
- Compaction Certificate
- Water Meter Move
Other applicable information:
- Applicable Building Codes/Design Criteria
- Cold Weather Requirements and Agreement
- Grading / Drainage
- Mechanical Sizing Information
- Transfer of Permit Ownership
PERMIT FEES are based on use of area and square footage, but are not charged until all plan reviews are completed and approved (see Fee Calculation Form). Permit fees do not include sewer fees – contact South Valley Sewer District at (801)571-1166. Another cost you will incur will be for a soils report which must be provided to the inspector at the footing inspection – see Geotechnical (Soils) Report.
Submit signed application and plans to the Building Department by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. If your plans are too large to email, please provide a shareable link to where we can download your plans from such as Dropbox, Google Drive or other online service.
Plan review will take approximately 10-15 working days, after which we may call with corrections that will need to be made to your plans. After the plans have been approved, we will email you the Fire Impact Fee Form which you’ll need to take to the address at the top of the form, pay the fee then bring the stamped signed copy with you when you come to pick up the permit. We will also email an invoice with the amount owed for the permit which you will need to take directly to the Customer Service window at City Hall to pay for the permit. Payments may be made by phone, (801)446-5323, with an electronic check. Credit card payments are not accepted for Single Family Dwelling permits.
Call the Building Department at (801)446-5327 at least one business day before you wish to schedule inspections (see Required Inspections).
LANDSCAPING IS REQUIRED in order to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy (see Landscaping Ordinance Info). As soon as landscaping has been installed or the bond is posted, the permanent water meter will be set within 2-3 working days if a water application has been submitted to the Water Department. If no application has been made, the Water Department will remove the jumper and shut off the water.