Patio/Porch/Deck Roof Covers
Hours: 7:30 am to 5:30 pm – Please call prior to 4:30 pm for all inspection requests.
If you are planning to build a roof cover or awning supported by the wall of the house, which does not project more than 54″ from the external wall, you do NOT need a permit.
If you are planning to build an awning projecting further than 54″ or a roof cover over a patio, porch or deck with supporting posts to the ground, you are required to submit for and obtain a building permit and inspections.
If you are also constructing a deck that is more than 30″ above the ground measured from the walking surface of the deck to the lowest grade level around the perimeter of the deck see the instructions for obtaining a covered Deck Permit.
Please be aware that dumpsters and construction materials must not create an obstruction to the public.
Requirements for Submitting a Permit Application for a Roof Cover
- Permit Application Form
- Two (2) copies of a site plan showing where on the property the house is and where the roof cover will be placed (see sample Site Plan). Include setback measurements from the post to the back, side or front property line as applicable. Measure from the closet post to the applicable property line(s). You can contact the Planning & Zoning Department for setback requirements and easement information at (801)446-5323 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Two (2) copies of Construction including:
a. Roof layout drawing (see sample Roof Cover Layout diagram)
b. Section diagram showing roof structure, post and footing information (see sample Roof Cover Section diagram)
c. Other applicable information – Building Codes & Design Criteria.
- If you are acting as an owner/builder, submit a signed, notarized Owner/Builder Certification. There are notaries at the City Office who can notarize documents for residents for free.
Permit Fees are not charged until all plan reviews are completed and approved. The fee will range from approximately $130.00 to $250.00, but depends on the square footage of the roof cover. Permit fees pay for reviews in the office as well as all inspections which will need to be done at the property.
Submit application and plans to the Building Department at the City Office Building at 5355 West Herriman Main Street during our office hours of 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Remember, the office is closed on State and Federal holidays.
Plan review will take approximately 10-15 working days, after which we may call with corrections that will need to be made to your plans. After corrections have been made, it will take 2-3 days to recheck the plans, stamp them approved and calculate fees. After the plans have been approved, we will call with the amount of the permit. Checks should be made payable to Herriman City. Payments less than $1,000 can also be made with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
Roof covers typically require two inspections, but may require others as needed:
- A footing inspection when excavated and formed with reinforcement secured, but before concrete is poured.
- A final inspection when the roof cover is completed.
Call the Building Department at (801)446-5327 at least one business day before you wish to schedule inspections. You may ask for an hour block of time when there will be an adult to meet the inspector at the property. When the work is completed and all inspections are approved, be sure to keep the plans, permit and inspection reports with your house records.