Hours: 7:30 am to 5:30 pm – Please call prior to 4:30 pm for all inspection requests.
If you are planning to construct a basement walkout, you are required to submit for and obtain a building permit and have inspections.
Requirements for Submitting a Permit Application for a Basement Walkout
- Permit Application Form
- Two (2) copies of Construction Drawings (see sample Walkout Stair Detail). Many projects of this type will require wet stamped (original stamped) Engineering from a Utah State Licensed Engineer regarding cutting a foundation for a door.
- Two (2) copies of a Site Plan (see sample Site Plan diagram) showing where on the property walkout is located, with the width and length dimensions shown. Also show the roof structure over the walkout with its dimensions, if any. Show on the sketch of the house where the garage is located, and show the driveway.
- Floor layout of room(s) affected by the walkout (see Typical Addition Floor Plan).
- If you are acting as an owner/builder, submit a signed, notarized Owner/Builder Certification. There are notaries at the City Office who can notarize documents for residents for free.
Submit application, plans, and engineering as necessary to the Building Department at the City Office Building at 13011 South Pioneer Street during our office hours of 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Remember, the office is closed on State and Federal holidays.
Plan review will take approximately 7-10 working days, after which we may call with corrections that will need to be made to your plans. After the plans have been approved, we will call with the amount of the permit (which pays for the reviews and all inspections which will need to be done). Checks should be made payable to Herriman City. Payments less than $1,000 can also be made with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
Walkouts typically require the following inspections:
- Footing inspection (steel and forms in place prior to pour)
- Foundation inspection (steel in place prior to pour)
- Final inspection (including installation of handrail and guardrail)
Call the Building Department at (801)446-5327 at least one business day before you wish to schedule each inspection. You may ask for an hour block of time. An adult must meet the inspector at the property. When the work is completed and all inspections are approved, be sure to keep the plans, permit and inspection reports with your house records.