Additions / Remodels
Hours: 7:30 am to 5:30 pm – Please call prior to 4:30 pm for all inspection requests.
If you are planning to add an addition to your home, or do a remodel to all or part of your home, you are required to submit for and obtain a building permit and inspections.
Please be aware that dumpsters and construction materials must not create an obstruction to the public.
Requirements for Submitting a Permit Application for an Addition or Remodel
- Permit Application Form
- Two (2) copies of a site plan on 8 1/2″x11″ or 11″x17″ size paper (see sample Site Plan Diagram) showing the existing house, property lines, where on the property the addition will be placed and the setbacks (contact the City Planning & Zoning Department at (801)446-5323 for setbacks requirements).
- Two (2) copies of Construction Drawings
FOR A REMODEL see Sample Remodel Diagrams
FOR AN ADDITION include footing/foundation details, wall and roof details, etc. (see samples Typical Addition Section Diagram, Typical Addition Floor Plan, Typical Addition Floor & Roof Layout Plan).
a. Be sure to label the use of each room.
b. Hash mark through areas not being finished, such as unfinished storage.
c. Show all electrical outlets, lights switches, smoke/carbon monoxide detectors.
d. Show dimensions of each window, each room and of entire area being finished.
e. Show window well dimensions for all bedrooms (see Emergency Escape diagram for egress requirements).
f. Show existing areas adjacent to the addition or remodel, mark the use of the existing rooms, identify windows and doors that will be removed (engineering may be required).
g. Comply with fireblocking requirements for exterior basement walls (see Typical Fireblocking Diagram).
h. Please be advised it is illegal in most areas of the city to have a second dwelling (apartment) in a basement or addition (see Ordinance). Check with the City Planning & Zoning Department at (801)446-5323 or firstname.lastname@example.org to find out what the restrictions are for your property.
i. Other applicable information – Building Codes & Design Criteria
- Two (2) copies of the Structural Engineering, wet stamped
- For large additions you may be required to also submit two (2) copies of a REScheck to the Utah 2012 Code – make sure to use the most current version of software, select Riverton as the location, then under “Code” choose Utah 2012 (see screenshot); see www.energycodes.gov for software
- If you are acting as an owner/builder, submit a signed, notarized Owner/Builder Certification. There are notaries at the City Office who can notarize documents for residents for free.
Permit Fees are based on the square footage being finished, but are not charged until all plan reviews are completed and approved (see Fee Calculation Form). Permit fees pay for reviews in the office as well as inspections which will need to be done at the property.
Submit application and plans to the Building Department at the City Office Building at 5355 West Herriman Main Street during our office hours of 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Remember, the office is closed on State and Federal holidays.
Plan review will take approximately 10-15 working days, after which we may call with corrections that will need to be made to your plans. After the plans have been approved, we will email an invoice with permit fees. Payments may be made by check (made payable to Herriman City) or by Visa, Mastercard, Discover, or American Express.
Additions/Remodels vary in the inspections that are required. See Required Inspections – this will give you a list of the possible inspections that may be required for your project. If you are not sure which inspections apply to your project, be sure to contact us. Call the Building Department at (801)446-5327 at least one business day before you wish to schedule each inspection. You may ask for an hour block of time when there will be an adult to meet the inspector at the property. When the work is completed and all inspections are approved, be sure to keep the plans, permit and inspection reports with your house records.