Hours: 7:30 am to 5:30 pm – Please call prior to 4:30 for all inspection requests.
Just a reminder that most construction work requires a permit and inspections by the city Building Department (see menu at right). However, let’s take a look at work that does NOT require a permit.
Work that does NOT require a permit:
- fences not over 7 feet high (see link at right for clear-view requirements or taller fences)
- swings and other playground equipment for a residence
- decks with walking surface not over 30 inches above the finish ground level
- one-story detached garages, sheds, playhouses and similar buildings that are 200 square feet or less; however, if it is wired with electrical lights or outlets, it will still need an electrical permit (see Detached Structure).
Regardless of the size of the structure, it cannot be placed any closer than 3 feet from the property lines and cannot be taller than 16′ to the mid-point of the roof. There are frequently other Zoning restrictions on individual lots, especially corner lots and when placing a structure to the side of a home. Contact the Zoning Department at (801) 446-5323 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org for your specific setbacks and restrictions.
- prefabricated swimming pools that are entirely above the ground and do not exceed 2 feet in depth; however, you must comply with fencing requirements (see Pools). Also see Guidelines for Proper Disposal of Swimming Pool & Hot Tub Water
- portable spa (hot tub) with an electrical cord and plug (not ‘hard-wired’)
- window awnings supported by the wall of the house, which do not project more than 54″
- repair and maintenance of electrical and mechanical systems; however, replacing or adding a new furnace, air conditioner or water heater DOES require a permit
- adding a layer of shingles to the roof; however, if you are removing all shingles down to the wood sheathing of the roof, you are required to get a permit and an inspection on the roof once the shingles are removed and a final inspection once the roof is re-shingled. This permit cost is $94.94 and can be issued at the counter.
Please be aware that dumpsters and construction materials must not create an obstruction to the public.
Payments for permits costing more than $1,000 may be made by phone, (801)446-5323, with an electronic check. Payments of $1,000 and less can also be made with a Visa, Mastercard, Discover, or American Express.
For questions regarding building permits contact the Building Department at (801) 446-5327 or see our “Frequently Asked Questions” page.