Hours: 7:30 am to 5:30 pm – Please call prior to 4:30 for all inspection requests.
Just a reminder that most construction work requires a permit and inspections by the city Building Department (see menu at right). However, let’s take a look at work that does NOT require a permit.
Work that does NOT require a permit:
- fences not over 7 feet high (see link at right for clear-view requirements or taller fences)
- swings and other playground equipment for a residence
- decks with walking surface not over 30 inches above the finish ground level
- one-story detached garages, sheds, playhouses and similar buildings that are 200 square feet or less; however, if it is wired with electrical lights or outlets, it will still need an electrical permit (see Detached Structure).
Regardless of the size of the structure, it cannot be placed any closer than 3 feet from the property lines and cannot be taller than 16′ to the mid-point of the roof. There are frequently other Zoning restrictions on individual lots, especially corner lots and when placing a structure to the side of a home. Contact the Zoning Department at (801) 446-5323 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org for your specific setbacks and restrictions.
- prefabricated swimming pools that are entirely above the ground and do not exceed 2 feet in depth; however, you must comply with fencing requirements (see Pools). Also see Guidelines for Proper Disposal of Swimming Pool & Hot Tub Water
- portable spa (hot tub) with an electrical cord and plug (not ‘hard-wired’)
- window awnings supported by the wall of the house, which do not project more than 54″
- repair and maintenance of electrical and mechanical systems; however, replacing or adding a new furnace, air conditioner or water heater DOES require a permit
- Adding a layer of shingles to the roof; however, if you are removing all shingles down to the wood sheathing of the roof, you are required to get a permit and an inspection on the roof once the shingles are removed and a final inspection once the roof is re-shingled. This permit cost is $94.94 and can be issued at the counter.
Also, be aware that ALL rock/masonry walls DO require a permit regardless of height, whether built with rock, brick, block, masonry, concrete, railroad ties, etc. For information and forms to submit for any permit, see list below. There is no charge for the permit if the wall is 4′ in height or less (please see Rock/Masonry Walls)
Payments for permits costing more than $1,000 must be made by check, and should be made payable to Herriman City. Payments of $1,000 and less can also be made with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
For questions regarding building permits contact the Building Department at (801) 446-5327