Address: 13011 S. Pioneer St., Herriman UT 84096
Hours: 7:30 am to 5:30 pm – Please call prior to 5:00 pm for all inspection requests.
Phone: (801) 446-5327
Fax: (801) 838-9073
Building Official: Jesse Bullock
Building Inspector: Lon Christensen
Building Inspector: Cathryn Nelson
Permit Technician: Kathleen White
Permit Coordinator: Taneal Crane
Just a reminder that most construction work requires a permit and inspections by the city Building Department (see menu at right). However, let’s take a look at work that does NOT require a permit.
Work that does NOT require a permit:
- fences not over 7 feet high (see link at right for clear-view requirements or taller fences)
- swings and other playground equipment for a residence
- decks with walking surface not over 30 inches above the finish ground level
- one-story detached garages, sheds, playhouses and similar buildings that are 200 square feet or less; however, if it is wired with electrical lights or outlets, it will still need an electrical permit (see Detached Structure). Regardless of the size of the structure, it cannot be placed any closer than 3 feet from the property lines and must comply with all other Zoning restrictions – contact the Planning Department at (801) 446-5323 or [email protected].
- prefabricated swimming pools that are entirely above the ground and do not exceed 2 feet in depth; however, you must contact Herriman City Building Department for information on fencing requirements. Also see Guidelines for Proper Disposal of Swimming Pool & Hot Tub Water
- portable spa (hot tub) with an electrical cord and plug (not ‘hard-wired’)
- window awnings supported by the wall of the house, which do not project more than 54″
- repair and maintenance of electrical and mechanical systems; however, replacing or adding a new furnace, air conditioner or water heater DOES require a permit ( see Electrical/Mechanical/Plumbing Only
Also, be aware that ALL retaining walls DO require a permit regardless of height, whether built with rock, brick, block, masonry, concrete, railroad ties, etc. For information and forms to submit for any permit, see list below. There is no charge for the permit if the wall is 4′ in height or less (please see Retaining Walls)
Payments for permits costing more than $1,000 must be made by check, and should be made payable to Herriman City. Payments of $1,000 and less can also be made with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
For questions regarding building permits contact the Building Department at (801) 446-5327 or see our “Frequently Asked Questions” page.