Secondary Water

Secondary water will be accessible to residents in the available area of the city beginning May 1st. Below you will find information to assist residents in preparing to connect to secondary water.

If you have questions, comments or concerns about installation or parts, please contact Herriman City Water Department at (801) 446-5323 or Also see our Frequently Asked Questions.
Herriman City Secondary Water Connection Diagram
Herriman City Secondary Water Facts

Requirements before using secondary water:

  • Customer must call for an inspection of their sprinkler connection to the secondary service line. (See instructional video below)
  • Customer must have a current backflow assembly test report if using culinary and secondary (swing line connection) for irrigation.
  • Customer must request secondary water meter to be set after they have passed inspection and have a current backflow assembly test report.

The Herriman City Water Department has completed a water rate study, which was performed by Zions Bank Public Finance. These studies are generally conducted every 1-2 years to ensure our water revenues are staying in line with our debt service obligations and O&M costs. The last water rate study was performed in the summer of 2012. Here is a link to the rate findings presentation for Culinary and Secondary water rates. A map has been provided to point out the areas of the City which currently have secondary water available and areas which could potentially have access in the future. If you have questions, feel free to contact the Water Department at 801-446-5323 or

Figure 1 depicts a phased plan to expand the secondary water system throughout Herriman. The phases were laid out based on value versus cost, basically, what gives the community the highest value for dollars spent.  Phases 0-10 are areas of the City that have secondary dry lines already installed. These are areas the City will focus on serving first, keeping capital costs lower since most of the infrastructure has already been installed by developers. In the majority of cases, these areas need the source of supply connected to the respective subdivision through the large transmission lines.

Phases 11-39 follow closely behind when considering value vs. cost, but come with a higher price tag since none of the interior piping through the subdivision is installed.

It is important to note that the phase numbers are a general guideline, and may not occur in that exact order listed due to funding or other factors. Each of the phases were divided into incremental costs of roughly $1,000,000 per phase.

If you have additional questions regarding the phasing plan, please contact the Herriman City Water Department at (801) 446-5323.

Secondary Water Rates

Water Rate Informative Flyer
Secondary Water Rate – Part of the Master Fee Schedule

Safety and Awareness

Remember to wear the appropriate safety equipment for each task, operate any tools in a safe manner and in the way they are intended to be used. Follow all safety guidelines and protocols of all manufactures.

General Installation

Follow all manufacture recommendations and installation instructions. Blue Stakes should always be called at least 48 hours prior to any excavation.

Explanation of Components and Parts

Secondary Water Meter Box – Item installed by Developer for City use only. This is usually a green sprinkler box or a cast iron oval meter box. Home owners are responsible for hooking up to the line outside the box. Do not connect to anything inside of the meter box. The City will install a secondary water meter after the connection has passed inspection.
Stop & Waste Valve – The stop & waste valve serves two basic purposes. It is used for turning water on or off and for draining water out of the sprinkler system. The valve must be fully open or fully closed to operate properly.
Filter (optional) – We recommend using a filter. The secondary water will be filtered before it enters the distribution system. We are filtering it down to 200 microns. Check with your sprinkler professional for their recommendation on filtration for your particular sprinkler system.
Swing-line – A swing-line is only needed if you plan on using both culinary and secondary for irrigation. It is not needed if you choose to use only secondary for irrigation. A swing-line is used to ensure only one supply of water is being used for irrigation. In a swing-line box you have two supply lines coming in (culinary & secondary) each with a shut off valve and you have one line going out (sprinkler feed line). There is one flexible line that is permanently fastened to the sprinkler feed and a quick connector that can be connected to either the secondary or the culinary depending on which supply will be used.
Backflow Assembly – The recommended backflow assembly type is a Reduced Pressure Zone assembly (RPZ). A backflow assembly is needed anytime culinary water will or may be used for irrigation. If using culinary only for irrigation, the backflow assembly must be installed on the main sprinkler feed line before the tee, junction or the first set of control valves. If you are using culinary and secondary, the backflow assembly must be installed before the swing-line box. A backflow assembly is not required if secondary will be the only supply for your irrigation system. Backflow assemblies must be tested by a certified backflow technician within 10 days of initial use and annually thereafter. Initial and annual testing results may be sent to Mark Tolbert at or at City Hall, 5355 W Herriman Main Street, Herriman, Utah, 84096.

The following list of backflow testing service providers have been prequalified through a public Request for Proposal (RFP) process to perform services related to the testing of residential backflow assemblies. Through the public RFP process, the providers have agreed to provide the services listed for the price listed. City holds the right to remove any and all providers that do not adhere to terms of the RFP at anytime. The City does not endorse or hold a contract with these providers.

Company Name: Clearwater Backflow Services

Contact: Ty or Jess Harris at 801-702-0313

Services Provided: Backflow testing, and repair if needed

Prices: Testing $40 (clean and retest, if needed and all paperwork)

Repairs: $50 per hour for labor plus parts



Company Name: Turf Sprinkler

Contact: Sheryl Smart at 801-943-5055

Services Provided: Backflow testing, and cleaning if needed

Price: $72.00


Company Name: Smart Backflow Services

Contact: Russ Smart at 801-566-5756

Price: $40.00

Homeowners Parts List

Parts List to Connect to Secondary Service:

1′ R.P.Z. backflow assembly
Galvanized fittings to install R.P.Z.
Physical disconnect assembly
Inline filter
Sprinkler boxes
Stop & Waste valves
Valve box cap
2′ Pipe for valve box
3/4″ P.V.C. pipe
1″ P.V.C. pipe
P.V.C. fittings
Stop & Waste key

Approximate Price:$350-$450

$.20-$.30 per ft.
$.30-$.40 per ft.
$.30-$1 each

Supplies Needed for Connections

Culinary Only

1′ RP (Backflow)
Stop & Waste Valve
Stop & Waste Valve Box
Stop & Waste Key
Stop & Waste Valve Box Cap
Sprinkler Valve Box
All necessary PVC pipe and glue

Culinary & Secondary

1′ RP (Backflow)
2 Stop & Waste Valves
Filter (optional)
Swingline Box (Physical Disconnect)
Sprinkler Valve Box
2 Stop & Waste Valve Boxes
2 Stop & Waste Valve Box Caps
All necessary PVC pipe & glue

Secondary Only

Filter (optional)
Stop & Waste Valve
Stop & Waste Valve Box
Stop & Waste Valve Box Cap
Stop & Waste Valve Key
3/4″ PVC
1″ PVC
All necessary PVC pipe & glue

List of Suppliers

Local supply houses that carry the necessary materials, we recommend you call around for the best pricing. This is intended to assist you in acquiring the necessary parts, we do not endorse them.

  • Sprinkler Supply
  • Sprinkler World
  • Mountain States
  • John Deer Landscapes
  • Ewing Irrigation
  • Home Depot
  • Lowes

Certified Landscape Contractors

The following link provides a list of local landscape contractors that have been certified through the Irrigation Association. This should assist you in finding a qualified contractor to connect your sprinkling system to the secondary connection. We recommend you call several to find one that best suits your needs. This is only intended to assist you in finding a contractor, Herriman City does not endorse them.

Certified Backflow Technicians

Secondary Water Laws & Regulations:

Federal Law

Safe Drinking Water Act of 1974, Public Law 93-523, Water purveyors are responsible for the quality of drinking water delivered. This required that contamination from backflow be eliminated.

State Regulation and Code

Utah Code, Section 19-4-112 states “there shall be no cross connection between the potable (drinking water) and non-potable (auxiliary water) systems”.

Utah Public Drinking Water Rule R-309-105

  1. Unprotected cross-connection that may affect water quality, are not allowed. Approved backflow prevention assemblies must be used.
  2. Backflow assemblies must be tested on an annual basis by a certified tester.
  3. Drinking water systems shall be protected for cross-connection from an pressurized irrigation system.

Utah Plumbing Code

  1. Prohibits Cross-Connections.
  2. Requires annual testing on all backflow assemblies.

The following story is an actual backflow case that was reported:

Unwanted guests October 1991 (Residents find parasites in tap water).

Parasitical worms were found in the water at two homes after a malfunctioning lawn sprinkler coupled with a water main break sucked the nematodes into the water system. The nematodes first showed up in the evening of October 1, after the backflow prevention system malfunctioned. When the water pressure dropped, the vacuum in the system sucked some water from the sprinkler into the city water. A homeowner found the worms swimming around in his bathtub when he started filling the tub for his child. He said he was appalled to find the critters, as well as rust and other debris in his water.

Sprinkler System Winterization with Secondary Water Connection

Winterizing your sprinkler system when connected to the secondary system is not much different than winterizing when connected to the culinary system.

In both cases, you want to shut off the source of water. If using Culinary water, this could be located inside your home in the area of where the waterline enters the exterior wall. Or it could be a stop & waste valve connected to the main water supply line on the outside of your home. When using Secondary water, the shut off or “Stop & Waste” valve, could be located between the secondary meter box (located in the park strip, or directly behind the sidewalk) and the connection point to your sprinkler system. If a “Stop & Waste” valve was installed at the connection point to the secondary system, the water should drain from the first set of sprinkler control valves or swing line to the “Stop & Waste” valve. If a normal shut off valve was installed.

After the source has been shut off, you should drain the water from the sprinkler system at the lowest point of each sprinkler zone (in most cases, drains are put in at time of installation).

If a filter was installed with the connection to the secondary system, you should remove filter completely or remove the internal parts of the filter to minimize the risk of freezing and damaging the filter.

Backflow assemblies should also be removed to minimize damage from freezing. Backflow assemblies must be installed when connected the culinary water system in any manner.

© Copyright 2013 Herriman City.